Tuesday 21 December 2004

Best of 2004

I watch Newsnight Review most Friday evenings and last week's programme was a Review of the Year. The panel chose some great selections. Here are my own favourites of 2004.

My top movie was probably Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Wonderful - and not just because it featured the truly beautiful Kate Winslet. I also enjoyed Fahrenheit 9/11. I saw some rubbish too - none worse than Highwaymen.

TV was mostly rubbish but the BBC's Space Odyssey was good. My favourite TV programme was Jonathan Miller's series on atheism "A brief history of disbelief".

I re-read Brave New World this year and greatly enjoyed it. The Wisdom of Crowds was also interesting. But my favourite book was A Short History of Nearly Everything since it filled-in so much of my limited knowledge of how the world works.

I re-discovered Radiohead this year and listened to their entire back catelogue. My favourite Radiohead album is Hail to the Thief so that's probably my best album.

My most used websites include Google and Blogger and I subscribe to a number of blogs (mostly related to education and politics). My best discovery of 2004 is Furl which I use all of the time for saving interesting websites. It's brilliant and it's free.

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes looking back I can't remember to what year some events belong. This year I did a lot of listening again to old albums and bought a couple of Gordon Lightfoot, Leonard Cohen and the Specials. For Christmas I got the Streets which at first I didn't like but now I really enjoy. Unfortunately I have to listen through headphones given the language and content. On the film front I am surprised by your choice of I think a Jim Carey film - I haven't seen it. Mainly I watch childrens films The Incredibles is brilliant. But I was a bit surprised myself by being completely overwhelmed by Mel Gibsons film which was the most awesome cinematic experience I have ever experienced. I watched it on my own on Good Friday and will never forget it. Brave New World is for me the best science fiction book ever.

    ReplyDelete