Monday 30 January 2006

Desperate women

I caught a programme called "Desperate women" on TV on Saturday night. It was presented by Janet Street Porter who tried to find out why so many women feel dissatified with their lives. It was pretty interesting and I agreed with most of what she said - that the media portayed an image of women that made most ordinary people feel unhappy. She targeted cosmetic surgery and TV's programmes such as Ten years younger.

But it struck me that JSP was an odd choice of presenter - sporting a hair style that would be better suited on a 16 year-old - and I couldn't help but think that she was simply annoyed that she didn't have the guts to go under the surgeon's knife herself.

At least she didn't blame it all on men ("What do men and women have in common? They both hate women."). She made a point of criticising female journalists whose main aim appeared to be spotting cellulite on celebrities. But, oddly, there was no criticism of the women who chose to buy the mindless magazines or read the poisenous newspapers or watch the celebrity-obsessed TV programmes - even the women who chose to undergo surgery were presented as victims. The Department of Health isn't so shy. It advises people considering cosmetic surgery to see a psychologist.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:06 pm

    I'm not a fan of cosmetic surgery but that may also be because I don't have the guts to go under the knife. Some cases are strange though, Lesley Ash for one. Did she need improved? I read in a Sunday newspaper and this may be wrong, I certainly was shocked at the amount, that Sharon Osbourne had spent 3.5M dollars on her work. I thought is she still SO after that amount of work. But then I heard her speak. Oh so bitchy.

    ReplyDelete