Sunday 21 October 2007

We are the best player at Celtic

Celtic's abysmal away peformances continue. Yesterday's beating was as comprehensive as it was predictable. I didn't even bother to watch it until half-time, and in the second half it was simply a matter of how many goals we lost. I thought only losing three was generous. Benfica might be able to improve on that total on Wednesday evening.

Why wee Gordon plays with a single striker when an Erskine over-50 XI would put a couple past our defence is beyond me. Our only chance on Wednesday is to win 9-8.

We do manage to win most of our SPL away games, thanks to the quality of the opposition. But against decent teams (i.e. Europe) we get found out. It's not for nothing that our European away record ranks alongside St Mirren's.

Yet, we are a force at Parkhead. Capable of competing with any team in the world. So, I say, that we, the supporters, are Celtic's best player and I demand a refund on my season ticket, a four year contract and £80,000 per week (shared between 55,000 other supporters).

3 comments:

  1. I have more than a few complaints about the referee (well it was TFOD as Ibrox after all). The card count of 8-1 to us gives you an indication of the ref's performance and the number of free drinks McCurry can expect when he's next down the Lodge.

    However... (deep breath), we were very poor and would surely still have lost with a fairer referee. After all none of the hun goals arose from refereeing blunders. All 3 poor defending.

    I found myself really questioning Strachan's long term position on Saturday. Not for a long time (probably since Macari days) can I remember us looking so weak and vulnerable in so many games in one season. This could be accepted perhaps if we were playing fantasy football and leaking a few at the back in the process but sadly this is not the case.

    Strachan seems compelled to rotate the team. We have to assume there is a tactical plan behind the changes but I can't fathom what Sno did to get back in the team even with all the injuries we had. We've got shades of the Big Eck management school - a big squad of players but all as mediocre as each other.

    Why is Jarosik not good enough to play Gretna and St. Mirren but is thrown in against AC Milan and Rangers? Is Riordan not worth a chance? If there's one thing Celtic are badly lacking (and there's more than one thing believe me) it's pace. Riordan has a good record against Rangers and I would've given him a start ahead of a guy who's publicly called for his own taxi in the papers. Riordan obviously has issues off the field.

    The thing that makes me most angry about all this as we have just been made to look stupid by a mediocre Rangers team. The hypebole will be ramped up another notch (couldn't read a paper today but saw the FRONT page of the News of the World was describing it as "THREE 'N EASY") with Wattie being lifted to semi-deity status.

    They are there for the taking by a semi-decent side and I just hope we can get to the level of semi-decent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tony B and others,

    Celtic aren't very good this year but believe me Watty can't win the league and do well in the ECL. We will win the league again. They will come back back from heroic/supernatural performaces and fall on their arse.

    I really think that winning the league is all we can ask of WGS. I'd love to think that we could advance in the ECL but that is unlikely this year, though not impossible.

    I'm also sick of Celtic supporters who phone into Radio Clyde and moan about Strachan's attitude towards the media. He is right to hold them in contempt. I'm at the stage where I think those who who cowtow to Clyde should get a boot in the balls. Is that going too far?

    "The Media" hold Celtic, the management, the directors and the supporters in contempt and deserve to be shunned. Strachan shouldn't give them the time of day and Celtic supporters shouldn't buy their papers.

    I'm pretty sure we will win the league again..... are you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We miss one game, and this is what happens:

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_cups/7069180.stm

    ReplyDelete