Monday 31 March 2008

Complaint to BBC re misleading title of UEFA "investigation" into behaviour of Celtic fans in Barcelona

Clearly my mood has not been helped by events on Saturday, however I thought it was probably time to register my displeasure with the media outlets in question over their Rangers pandering agenda, as well as continuing to ramble on in various blogs and internet fora.

My complaint to the BBC via e-mail is as follows -

I wish register my complaint concerning the misleading title attributed to the article above. I would appreciate an explanation as to why the BBC thought it appropriate to use the heading "UEFA drops Celtic chanting case". The UEFA spokesman is clearly quoted in said article as stating - "We've had a look into that, but NO DISCIPLINARY CASE WILL BE OPENED [my emphasis]".

Please explain then, how it is possible for UEFA to "drop" a case that was never opened in the first place?

I sincerely hope there has been no conscious decision by anyone at the BBC to spin this article, either to portray Celtic FC in a negative light, or to justify the previous erroneous reporting of the BBC in relation to this "non-story".

However given precedents I can easily recall with regard to reporting of matters relating to Celtic FC on the BBC website, and the dubious timing of the initial "non-story" (i.e. several weeks after the "events" in question, on the eve of a crucial Old Firm game and at a time where negative headlines may have been expected in relation to Rangers' blatant disrespect for the Scottish national team) I remain unconvinced.

As alluded to above, I also wish to register my disappointment that the circumstances surrounding the withdrawal of four Rangers players from the Scotland squad and statements from Gordon Strachan and Barry Robson to the effect that the player was turned away by from the Scotland squad against his will by medical staff previously employed by Rangers FC, were not deemed worthy of any significant investigation or comment by the BBC.

Certainly I would have expected more than wheeling out Dado Prso to state that the Rangers players in question "deserved a rest" from any organisation with any journalistic integrity or pretensions to fair and balanced reporting.

I look forward to your comments on both of my queries.

Tony Hamilton
Glasgow

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2:57 am

    I hope you are not holding your breath awaiting a reply

    ReplyDelete