Thursday 26 May 2005

Martin O'Neill

It's been a bad week for Celtic supporters. Wednesday's news was worse than Sunday's result. I knew that he was leaving but hoped that he would take a sabbatical rather than actually leave the Club.

A few week's ago, MON declared that he was looking for new players and was looking forward to spending a £15M budget. Then, last week, he stated that there was a 50/50 chance of him being here next season. Then, two days ago, he's off. It doesn't make sense. I sincerely hope that the Board did not play a part in this odd sequence of events.

MON has brought us five happy years. The highlight was Seville (maybe the semi against Boavista - what a night I had!) but there were lots of great results along the way. He almost created a genuinely great team.

So Gordon Strachan has a hard act to follow. I have mixed feelings about GS. At the same time that MON had Leicester City sitting fourth in the Premiership, GS was relegating Coventry. But, on the other hand, he did a decent job at Southampton, appears to be as passionate about the game as MON - and The Forces of Darkness are worried by his appointment (just as they were by MON's). Time will tell. I don't feel as optimistic as I did when MON was appointed but I'll give Strachan a chance.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining.

1 comment:

  1. I have mixed views about O'Neill going. Four out of five championships would have been great. But I think Celtic looked stale and there is little creativity in the play. Saying that I am unsure about Strachan especially at European level. As to what was going on it may be better to phone that girl from Walsall but no doubt some tabloid has already done it.
    I got an email during the week that said next year the Celtic shirt would say "Carling - Bottled in Motherwell"
    See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete